An opt-in mechanism provides your members with the ability to decide if their profile will appear in directory searches. To provide an opt-in mechanism for your member directory, you need to create a custom selection set attribute with yes and no selections. Then, you can add this attribute to your member directory and set the yes selection as criteria. Members will need to meet this criteria for their profile to appear in directory searches.
To create a custom selection set
1. Navigate to Database > Attributes.
2. Click the ADD CUSTOM ATTRIBUTE button to create a custom attribute.
3. Select Selection Set from the drop-down menu. Leave the Selections & Display Options drop-down menu on Single Selection: Radio Buttons.
4. Use the Add a Selection field to create Yes and No options. Then, click SAVE when you're finished.
To add your selection set to your member directory
1. Navigate to Community > Directory. Use the ADD A DIRECTORY SEARCH button to add a new directory, if necessary, or edit a directory in your list. Hover your cursor over the directory in your list then click EDIT.
2. In the Edit This Directory Search section, select your custom selection set attribute from the Select Attribute to Include in Search Results drop-down menu.
If your custom attribute does not show up in the drop-down menu, you need to assign it to your member types.
3. Select the custom attribute in the list, then in the Options used to limit search results drop-down menu, check off the Yes selection.
Your members will need to have Yes selected - for this attribute - for their profile to appear in directory searches.
Set up attribute security to allow your members to access your opt-in attribute.