With the release of our new Social Community features, there will also be a change in how your users view the member directory (search results template) as well as the advanced search.
Please note: these changes will only take place in the new content management system, and will only affect your end users (ASA/Admin templates and searches will remain as they are). If you have yet to upgrade to the new CMS, these features will be available when you do. If you have already upgraded to the new CMS, these features will be rolled out gradually over the course of a six week period beginning on April 11th.
Why the Change?
As part of the move to the new CMS, we are separating the admin experience from the end-user experience. After all, admins and members have very different needs and should have separate interfaces to meet those needs. We are also taking this opportunity to deprecate some outdated back-end technology which powered the search results templates in the old system. Admin search results will be overhauled in a separate release. If you have suggestions for changes you would like to see in the admin view of profiles, please let us know in this topic.
We have also received a lot of feedback from organizations which use the Advanced Search on the front-end and what it boils down to is that the Advanced Search page was too complicated for use on the front-end. We've overhauled the Advanced Search to not only upgrade the look and feel, but also to simplify the interface, making it more friendly for use on the front-end. The Advanced Search will remain the same for administrators for now.
There were 2 types of search results templates available on the front-end:
Moving forward, templates will combine elements from the list and card types. The new templates are more similar to the previous card type, however they have been improved to provide a cleaner look, easier management options and to fit today's best practices. The template allows you to set up the attributes in either a single column or 2 columns (examples shown below), and will automatically display the user's photo on the left side (if available). You also have the option to create blocks of text at the top or bottom of the card as well as "headline attributes" such as contact name and certifications.
- Cleaner and more updated look
- Creating and/or updating your templates is easier with a new, streamlined editor
- Customization - now you are able to have a different template for each database group and even customize how each group views another (for example, "public" might see "members" one way while "members" see "members" a different way)
- Single column directory - profiles will be displayed 1 per row, which is easier for your users to view and fits modern web standards
Important: With the standardization of search templates on the front-end, please note that custom search results templates will no longer be available to end-users. Existing saved searches which use custom results templates will now use the default template. Custom search results templates and saved searches with custom templates will continue to function for administrators.
Example #1 - this example displays attributes in a 2 column layout
Example #2 - this example displays attributes in a single column layout
Example #3 - this example displays attributes in more of a list type layout
With the release of our new social community features, there will also be a change in the advanced search page for your end users. The new advanced search is a simple-to-use feature that offers your users the ability to search the directory based on any criteria they'd like, which they have permissions to access.
- The first menu allows users to select an attribute from the database to search on. The options available are based on attribute security settings, so users will only be able to use attributes that they have the ability to view.
- The second menu allows users to select how they would like to search on the selected attribute. The options available are "contains", "equal" and "not equal".
- The third section allows users to enter their search terms for the selected attribute.
- The "add criteria" button allows users to add additional lines (items 1 - 3) to further refine their search.
- The "match all criteria" and "match any criteria" options control whether the search is "and" or "or".