The article manager is the place where you are able to manage all of the content in your site. Access the article manager by navigating to Website > Article Manager.
Article: An article contains information that you want to display on your site - usually text, images, links, etc. Similar to a newspaper, 1 page of your site can contain 1 article or 1 page can contain several articles.
The following toolbar can be found towards the top-right corner of the main article manager screen. Each toolbar button is explained below.
- Unarchive: To remove one or more articles from archived status, select them and press this button. Archived articles are retained on the site and are available for viewing on menu items with a type of "archive layout". Note that when an article is unarchived, its status is changed to "not published". Also, if an article does not have a status of "archived", this button has no effect.
- Archive: To change one or more articles to archived status, select them and press this button. Archived articles are retained on the site and are available for viewing on menu items with a type of "archive layout". They can not be published to other pages while set to archived status.
- Publish: To publish one or more articles, select them and click on this button.
- Unpublish: To unpublish one or more articles, select them and click on this button.
- Move: Select one or more articles and click on this button to move them. A new screen will display showing the possible "move to" locations on the left and the list of article(s) being moved on the right. To complete the move, select the desired "move to" location and click the "move" button.
- Copy: Select one or more articles and click this button to copy them. A new screen will display showing the possible "copy to" locations on the left and the list of article(s) being copied on the right. To complete the copy, select the desired "copy to" location and click the "copy" button.
- Move to Trash: Select one or more articles and click on this button to move them to the article trash. Note that articles can be restored from the article trash as long as they are not permanently deleted.
- View Trash: Takes you to the article trash, where you can see any previously deleted articles.
- Edit: Select one article and click on this button to open it in edit mode. If you have more than one article selected, the first article will be opened. You can also open an article for editing by clicking on its title or name.
- New: Click on this button to create a new article.
- Parameters: Click this button to open the global configuration window. This window allows you to set default parameters for articles. This default parameter will take effect if the corresponding menu item parameter and article parameter are both set to "use global". See website parameters for more information.
- Permissions: Click this button to open the article permissions area. These permissions determine which of your database groups are able to access/view each article. Important: individual permissions are not available in the CMS at this time.
- Help: Opens this help screen.
The article list will display all of the articles within your site. You are able to edit and/or change settings for any article in this area. The following image is broken down into 3 sections which are explained below.
- Section 1 contains options for finding/sorting the articles in your list:
- Filter: If you have a large amount of articles, you can use the filter option to quickly find the desired article. Enter all or part of the article title, or the ID number.
- Select Category: Use this option to display only the articles in a particular category by selecting it from the drop down menu.
- Select Author: Use this option to display only the articles that were created by a particular person/author.
- Select State: Use this option to display only the articles that are published, unpublished or archived.
- Section 2 contains all of the articles and their information. You are able to sort the list by clicking any of the column headers.
- #: An indexing number automatically assigned by MemberClicks
- Checkbox: Check this box to select one or more articles. To select all articles, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected article(s). Many toolbar actions, such as publish and unpublish, can work with multiple articles. Others, such as edit, only work on one article at a time. If multiple articles are checked and you press edit, the first article will be opened for editing.
- Title: This is the name of the article and can optionally be displayed on the web page. A title is required for all articles. Edit an article by clicking on its title.
- Published: This displays the article's published status, which can be one of the following: published, not published, archived, published but pending, published and current, or published but expired. You can toggle the published state on and off by clicking the icon in this column. A status of pending means that an article's "start publishing date" is in the future. You are able to see the article's start and stop publishing dates by hovering your mouse over this icon.
- Front Page: This shows whether or not an article will display on the front page. You are able to change this setting by clicking on the icon.
- Order: The order to display items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking "save order" (it will be a disk icon in the header row). Note that the display order on a page is set in the "parameters - advanced" section for each menu item. If that order is set to use something other than "order" (for example, "title - alphabetical"), then the order value in this screen will be ignored. If the menu item order parameter is set to use "order", then the articles will display on the page based on the order in this screen.
- Category: This is the category that an article belongs to. Clicking the category title will open it for editing.
- Author: The name of the user who created the article. You are able to change an author in "parameters (article)" when editing the article.
- Date: The date that the article was created on. You are able to change the date in "parameters (article)" when editing the article.
- Hits: This is the number of times the article has been viewed. You may reset this value to 0 in the article editor.
- ID: The ID number is a unique value used to identify the article internally (for example, internal links). It is assigned automatically and cannot be changed.
- Section 3 contains the display and navigation options for your article list:
- Display #: The number of articles displayed at one time.
- Buttons: Use these buttons to navigate between pages in your article list.